This contract is between two parties: ROSE Fox [email@example.com] and Chris Lee [firstname.lastname@example.org]. It describes a PROJECT in which Chris will provide Rose with a MANUSCRIPT, Rose will provide a DETAILED LINE EDIT AND EDIT LETTER regarding said manuscript, and Chris will provide Rose commensurate PAYMENT.
Project milestones and deadlines
On or before April 26, 2021, Chris will email Rose the manuscript in .doc or .rtf format. Rose will confirm receipt of this email within 24 hours.
On or before May 24, 2021, Rose will complete and email Chris a detailed line edit, consisting of changes and comments made within the manuscript document using the Track Changes feature of Microsoft Word, and an edit letter, a document discussing the overall shape of the story and making structural suggestions.
After June 1, 2022, this project will be considered completed and no further work will be done under the terms of this contract.
Fees and payment
The total fee for this project is US$3000. This fee covers all the work described above.
On or before May 10, 2021, Chris will remit 50% of payment (i.e. US$1500) via PayPal to email@example.com. If Rose does not receive this up-front payment by May 10, 2021, the project will be canceled; see “Project cancellation” below.
On or before June 1, 2021, Chris will remit the remaining 50% of payment (i.e. US$1500) via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org. If Rose does not receive this payment by June 1, 2021, Rose will begin sending Chris monthly invoices, and the amount that Chris owes Rose will increase each calendar month by 20% of the previous invoice total.
Each of us agrees to:
- Treat the other person and their work with respect and courtesy.
- Only share or distribute the other person’s work or personal information, or use their name or likeness, with their express written permission.
- Meet the work and payment deadlines given in this contract, or promptly inform the other person if a deadline cannot be met and at that time give the other person the option of either extending the deadline or canceling the project.
- Accept that this contract contains the complete and total description of the project and all relevant fees, deadlines, and obligations, unless the contract is amended by mutual agreement.
- Chris asserts that the work to be edited is fully original, and that Chris owns all relevant rights and permissions to the work.
- Rose asserts that all critique and editorial work done under the terms of this contract will be performed solely by Rose, without the use of subcontractors or other assistance.
If either of us cancels the project on or before May 5, 2021, this contract will be void. Rose will immediately delete all files Chris has sent and any work Rose has done on this project, and refund any fees Chris has paid. No further fees will be due.
If Chris does not remit the initial up-front payment on or before May 10, 2021, this contract will be void. Rose will immediately delete all files Chris has sent and any work Rose has done on this project, and refund any fees Chris has paid. No further fees will be due.
If Chris requests to cancel the project after May 5, 2021 but before May 24, 2021, Rose will immediately send Chris all completed work, and delete all files Chris has sent and any work Rose has done on this project. Under these circumstances, there will be no refund of fees, and any fees not yet paid will still be due in accordance with the terms of this contract.
If Rose does not complete the line edit and edit letter by May 24, 2021, this contract will be void. Rose will immediately send Chris all completed work, delete all files Chris has sent and any work Rose has done on this project, and refund any fees Chris has paid.
Rates for future work
On or before June 1, 2022, Chris may make arrangements with Rose for up to four hours of video call discussion (in sessions lasting not more than one hour each) of the manuscript and edits, at the rate of $45 per half hour. In addition, once Chris updates the manuscript, Chris may send it back to Rose for a follow-up analysis (with deadlines to be determined at that time) for a fee of $600.
After June 1, 2022, these rates may change at Rose’s discretion.
Very brief legalese
This contract is written in and governed by the laws of New York City, Kings County, New York State, and the United States.